Monday, February 26, 2007

Guru/Ethicist

As the guru/ethicist of the group, I have researched different types of ethical mores, and have sought to compare the use of bittorrents to those different types of ethics. For instance, I have looked into a Utilitarian and Deontological viewpoint of the problem. In this instance I have compared the expected utility from using a bittorrent to being caught using a bittorrent. In this way could it be considered moral for individual users to use a bittorrent? How much disutility, for instance, do bittorrents cause copyright owners, and could they be compensated by the consumers using their products illegally?

In addition, I have looked into a Deontological viewpoint of the bittorrent problem. In doing this I examined the intentions of the users of bittorrents, and their sense of duty to following the laws.

No comments: